“How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the herald, who proclaims peace, who brings news of good things, who proclaims salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns!” (Isaiah 52:7).
God’s people, dwelling in the beleaguered city of Jerusalem in 700 B. C., needed good news. They had been guilty of terrible idolatry and had experienced horrendous devastation at the hands of the Assyrians. They needed good news. And God intended to bring it.
Everyone who brings the good news of the gospel to people lost in darkness is a herald just like the one Isaiah spoke about. And God is giving the churches of the West Central Association the opportunity to take our feet to Ecuador and herald the good news of Jesus. The opportunity is open to any member of any church within the West Central Association, and I pray that you will all consider how the Lord might call you to be involved. These are the details you need to know at this point.
- Dave and Deb Wilson are the missionaries we will be working with in Ecuador. I will be the team leader coordinating preparation and travel and helping lead of the group there. That means I am definitely going!
- We will depart on Friday, August 21 and return on Saturday, August 29 , 2015.
- The cost will be approximately $1700. The final cost will depend upon the cost of the plane ticket. The cost in Ecuador, including transportation, meals, lodging, and translators will be $800. The plane ticket is estimated to cost between $800 and $900. It is also advised that each person bring enough money to make a small donation to the ministry of your choice at the end of the trip.
- A deposit will be due in January (amount to be determined) and the balance will be due later.
- What will we be doing? We will be paired up and matched with a translator and will engage in gospel centered discussions with men and women in small mountain villages. Everyone will have ample opportunity to share what Jesus has done in their lives! We will also be able to go into local schools, share Bible stories and games with the children, and share the gospel with the teachers. On Sunday we will be taken to various local churches to share. Other opportunities may arise as well. If you’ve never shared your gospel story before, don’t be afraid. The Lord will give you what to say when the time comes, and we will prepare you beforehand. Come ready to see God at work!
- What will we need? People who are willing to share how Jesus has worked in their lives. In addition, we could use folks who have skills in leading worship and people with a heart to work with children. We will need some supplies, which we will be asking churches to help us with when we get closer to the trip dates.
- What can you do now? Be on the lookout for flyers and pamphlets promoting the trip. I will be sending them out soon. If you’ve made the decision to go, notify me as soon as possible so we can begin preparations. We are looking for a group of 16-18. Come to the Fall Association Meeting on Saturday, November 8 at First Southern Baptist Church, Terre Haute at 9 AM. We will have discussion and testimony about the trip. Bring someone who may be interested.
You will hear more from me soon on this. Stay tuned.